France: Tax process for Essentially Registered Shares
In Announcement D17005, dated 20 January 2017 Clearstream Banking AG1 informed that as of 27 January 2017 Essentially Registered Shares are no longer processed via the direct link between CBF and ESES, but via the Clearstream Banking S.A. (CBL) link to ESES.
The securities impacted by this transfer are the following:
- Lagardere ISIN FR0000130213;
- Michelin ISIN FR0000121261;
- Gecina ISIN FR0010040865.
In relation to the tax process, customers should be aware that:
- Dividends paid as of 27 January 2017 for Essentially Registered Shares fall under the responsibility of CBL’s local custodian, BP2S, acting as withholding tax agent, and consequently
- To secure tax relief on these dividends, valid tax certification must be in place for the CBL activity. As each withholding tax agent is under the obligation to receive original certification in order to apply reduced tax rates, the tax documentation submitted for CBF cannot be used for these securities processed via CBL.
Impact on customers
For any CASCADE dividend payment made on Essentially Registered Shares, including the upcoming
Michelin ISIN FR0000121261: PD 26/05/2017
customers wanting to apply for reduced tax rates on behalf of eligible beneficial owners, must ensure that the tax certification and SWIFT instruction described in the Market Taxation Guide - France (CASCADE) is provided to CBL, if not already done for their 2017 activity, by the requested Clearstream Banking deadlines.
In absence of complete and valid certification, the maximum tax rate will be applied.
1. This announcement is published by Clearstream Banking AG (CBF), registered office at Mergenthalerallee 61, 65760 Eschborn, Germany, registered with the Commercial Register of the District Court in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, under number HRB 7500.