Poland: Acceptance of electronic certificates of residence
Clearstream Banking1 informs customers that our local depository has clarified the process for the acceptance of electronic certificates of residence (CORs) issued by foreign tax authorities.
customers providing electronic CORs to Clearstream Banking for the purpose of obtaining the benefit of Double Taxation Treaty (DTT) rates on Polish income payments must ensure that the following conditions are met:
- The beneficial owner’s country tax authorities only issue CORs in electronic form;
- Confirmation that such electronic COR was obtained from the electronic system dedicated in the beneficial owner’s country for issuing digital CORs and it constitutes valid and binding ground for applying reduced DTT rates.
- The electronic COR is provided as an attachment in non-editable form (PDF file).
How to submit the electronic COR and the confirmation of its issuance to Clearstream Banking
In addition to the COR, customers must provide a letter of request to register the COR (attached below), on company letterhead, duly signed and stamped and confirming:
- That the electronic COR was obtained from the electronic system dedicated in the beneficial owner’s country for issuing digital CORs and it constitutes valid and binding ground for applying reduced DTT rates.
- If the electronic COR must be used for the securities deposited with our custodian Bank Handlowy , with the CSD KDPW or for both.
The COR and the letter of request must be provided together as a .zip attachment through the BO Upload application as follows:
- Go to the BO upload page;
- Login, Premium Users only;
- Select Poland – Relief at Source;
- Fill in the File Upload Information details
- Fill in the mandatory Payment Details as follows:
|Record Date||upload date|
|Payment Date||upload date|
- Upload the file containing the COR and the cover letter with extension .zip
- No printed copy of the electronic CORs will be accepted
Electronic CORs provided in a format that does not satisfy the above requirements or without the confirmation that it was obtained from an electronic system dedicated in the beneficial owner’s country for issuing digital CORs and it constitutes valid and binding ground for applying reduced DTT rates will be automatically rejected.
Clearstream Banking cannot be held responsible for the rejection of electronic forms by the custodian, the CSD or the Polish Tax Authorities.
For further information, customers may contact the Clearstream Banking Tax Help Desk or Clearstream Banking Client Services or their Relationship Officer.
1. Clearstream Banking refers collectively to Clearstream Banking S.A., registered office at 42, avenue John F. Kennedy, L-1855 Luxembourg, and registered with the Luxembourg Trade and Companies Register under number B-9248, and Clearstream Banking AG (for Clearstream Banking AG customers using Creation Accounts), registered office at 61, Mergenthalerallee, 65760 Eschborn, Germany and registered in Register B of the Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main, Germany under number HRB 7500.