Norway: New reclaim forms published by the NTA
Following the Norwegian Tax Administration’s (NTA) publication of new tax reclaim forms, Clearstream Banking1 informs customers that, effective
1 July 2019
the following new reclaim forms must be used when requesting a tax reclaim on behalf of the following beneficial owner types:
Resident of a country with a Double Taxation Treaty
- Application for refund of Norwegian withholding tax under DTT - Individuals (prefilled version); or
- Application for refund of Norwegian withholding tax under DTT – Legal entities (prefilled version)
Foreign EEA entities qualifying for the tax-exemption model
- Application for refund of Norwegian withholding tax under the tax exemption method (prefilled version)
International organisations or foreign governments approved as tax exempt by the NTA
There is no official NTA reclaim form published for tax exempt International organisations or foreign governments. These entities may therefore continue to use the below Clearstream form:
- Request to the Norwegian Tax Authorities for Tax Refund
Customers should refer to the following guidelines, when completing the reclaim form:
Customers should leave the details in the part 2 “Representative” blank, as this part will be completed by Clearstream Banking’s depository.
When completing the dividend table in part 5, customers are requested to insert one line per each dividend received. For example, if an issuer is distributing dividend twice a year, then this dividend should be inserted in two separate lines.
VPS (CSD) account number
Shares issued by all the Norwegian companies listed on Oslo Børs (the Oslo Stock Exchange) are registered with the Norwegian central securities depository (VPS), as are shares in other large Norwegian companies. In the updated reclaim form, customers are required to include the Clearstream VPS account number that corresponds with their shareholding, as shown below:
- Dividends paid with record date on or after 30 November 2018: 153300000145 (25% tax);
- Dividends paid with record date before 30 November 2018: 050050032346 (25% tax)
Impact on customers
Customers wishing to reclaim tax on Norwegian dividends through the standard refund procedure via Clearstream Banking must, as of 1 July 2019, use the updated forms, together with any other additional mandatory documentation, as stated in our Market Taxation Guide – Norway. Previous versions of the reclaim forms will not be accepted by Clearstream as of this date.
For further information, customers may contact Clearstream Banking Client Services, their Relationship Officer or Tax Help Desk.
1. Clearstream Banking refers collectively to Clearstream Banking S.A., registered office at 42, avenue John F. Kennedy, L-1855 Luxembourg, and registered with the Luxembourg Trade and Companies Register under number B-9248, and Clearstream Banking AG (for Clearstream Banking AG customers using Creation Accounts), registered office at 61, Mergenthalerallee, 65760 Eschborn, Germany and registered in Register B of the Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main, Germany under number HRB 7500.