Finland: Trace – Validity of ISD-E form – reminder
Clearstream Banking1 reminds customers holding own assets (acting as final beneficial owner), that the validity of the ISD-E form, used, for the purpose of obtaining relief at source or quick refunds on dividend distributions from Finnish equities, in general is the below:
- five years from the end of the calendar year in which it is signed and dated by the Investor; or
- until further notice, if the Investor is a government or international organisation.
However, a new form must be provided immediately, if there is a change in the beneficial owner's eligibility for a reduced tax rate or exemption according to the treaty benefit or Finnish domestic law, as applicable.
We further remind customers, that it is solely the beneficial owner's responsibility, at all relevant times to:
- ensure that the information given in the ISD-E form are up-to-date and correct;
- pay attention to the certifications that are given in the ISD-E form and to contact the tax authority of their country of residence or the Finnish Tax Administration insofar as the tax treaty definition or if Finnish domestic law is unclear to the beneficiary;
- monitor the expiration of such ISD-E form and either provide renewals of such form or, immediately on expiration of such form, to provide instructions to have the correct applicable Finnish withholding tax deducted.
Impact on customers
Customers, acting as beneficial owners and receiving dividend payments from Finnish equities are reminded to comply with the above requirements, should they wish to benefit from relief at source or quick refund procedure.
For further information, please contact the Clearstream Banking Tax Help Desk, Clearstream Banking Client Services or your Relationship Officer.
1. Clearstream Banking refers collectively to Clearstream Banking S.A., registered office at 42, avenue John F. Kennedy, L-1855 Luxembourg, and registered with the Luxembourg Trade and Companies Register under number B-9248, and Clearstream Banking AG (for Clearstream Banking AG customers using Creation Accounts), registered office at 61, Mergenthalerallee, 65760 Eschborn, Germany and registered in Register B of the Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main, Germany under number HRB 7500.