Finland: Relief at source and quick refund on dividend distribution of Nokia Corp. ADR
Clearstream Banking AG1 informs customers that on
11 June 2019
a dividend distribution will be paid to all shareholders of Nokia Corp. ADRs (ISIN US6549022043) as at record date 23 May 2019.
This dividend distribution is subject to 30% Finnish withholding tax by default in CBF.
Customers may apply for relief at source or a quick refund for their underlying beneficial owners according to the procedure and eligibility criteria described in the DTCC notice. For full details regarding these requirements, please refer to the original DTCC notice available from DTCC website (CUSIP / Security name can be used to retrieve the notice).
Customers are strongly encouraged to obtain this notice to ensure they are aware and comply with the full requirements for this event.
Impact on customers
Customers wishing to obtain a relief at source or quick refund must instruct CBF as follows:
- Send a per-payment breakdown for each tax rate required via SWIFT or Xact Web Portal message (please refer to Announcement D18075 for full instruction formatting requirements) including the following:
- Customer account number;
- ISIN code;
- Corporate action ID;
- Record date;
- A breakdown of the position with the quantity (please refer to the eligible balance on your account) and respective tax rate to apply.
- Customers are required to specify in the field :92a: for SWIFT or in the requested withholding tax rate for Xact Web Portal the applicable tax rate requested;
- A breakdown of beneficial owner disclosure to email@example.com by filling in subject line: Account number, ISIN, corporate action ID, record date, your SWIFT/ Xact Web Portal reference. The template is available by sending via email a request to: cadatabase.cs"clearstream.com quoting exactly in the subject line: TAX ELECTION FINLAND 654902204.
- Original documentation
Please refer to the original DTCC notice for specific required documentation applicable to each eligible beneficial owner type.
Any original required documentation must be sent to the following address before the CBF deadline:
Clearstream Banking S.A.
Att. Tax Department
42, Avenue J.F. Kennedy
- Additional documentation
Any additional documentation may be requested from the customer or the final beneficial owners. Upon request such documentation must be provided to the address stated above.
Important note: Customers are reminded that it is the customer's responsibility to ensure that final beneficial owners are eligible for the tax rates applied, including CBF default rates. Neither CBF nor its local depository has any direct or indirect liability towards the Finnish authorities in this regard.
In order to benefit from a relief at source or quick refund, customers must ensure that CBF receives the above-described documents by the deadlines stated below:
Relief at source
No later than 24 May 2019 at 10:00 CET
No later than 7 October 2019 at 10:00 CET
If no certification is received by CBF before the stated deadline, 30% withholding tax will be applied by default on the dividend payment.
CBF will take no responsibility in respect of any losses, claims, penalties, taxes and interest thereon due to no action being taken by the customer regarding the above matter or receipt of documents after the indicated deadline.
If CBF is informed after the tax instruction or certification deadline indicated above that a beneficial owner has obtained relief at source or quick refund to which the beneficial owner is not entitled (as example due to incorrect entitlement, data, certification etc), CBF will not assist in withholding the tax or paying it back to the respective tax authorities.
1. This Announcement is published by Clearstream Banking AG (CBF), registered office at Mergenthalerallee 61, 65760 Eschborn, Germany, registered with the Commercial Register of the District Court in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, under number HRB 7500.