Investment regulation - Uruguay
There are few restrictions in the Uruguayan market:
- Foreign investment in companies operating radio and television stations is restricted.
Radio-Broadcasting services in Uruguay constitute a private activity involving a public interest, therefore individuals (natural or legal citizens of Uruguay and domiciled in the country) must receive prior authorisation from the Uruguay Executive Government before they can provide such services.
- Local regulations restrict foreign ownership in airline companies. Such restrictions include:
- If the owner is an individual, he/she must be a citizen of Uruguay.
- If the owner is a group of individuals, at least half plus one of the partners must be citizens of Uruguay, domiciled in Uruguay and own the majority of the capital.
- If the owner is a company, the majority of shareholders with the majority of voting rights must be citizens of Uruguay, domiciled in Uruguay.