Market Taxation Guide - Kazakhstan
This Market Taxation Guide (Kazakhstan) provides the following details:
- Reference information about all taxes applied at source, to securities deposited in Clearstream Banking1; and
- Instructions for obtaining relief at source or a refund of withholding tax, where these are available, through Clearstream Banking.
Additional and improved tax information and procedures that are available will be included on an ongoing basis.
This Market Taxation Guide (including any attachments and other links) is for informational purposes only and is not intended and should not be considered to be legal advice on any subject matter. Readers of this Market Taxation Guide, whether customers or otherwise, should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in this Market Taxation Guide without seeking appropriate legal or other professional advice.
Types of securities
The eligible securities issued in Kazakhstan are as follows:
- Government bonds issued by the Ministry of Finance:
MEOKAM Government medium-term treasury obligation
MEUKAM Government long-term treasury obligation
- Treasury Bills issued by the National Bank of Kazakhstan
Short-term discounted bills and notes with maturity 7. 14, 28, 91, 182, 270 or 364 days:
NTK National Bank of Kazakhstan Notes
Capital gains tax
Typically, there is no capital gains tax withheld through Clearstream Banking on securities held in Clearstream Banking. However, Capital gains tax may be payable on specific gains. Clearstream Banking does not assist in this regard. Please consult your tax advisor for further information.
There is no stamp duty withheld through Clearstream Banking on securities held in Clearstream Banking. Stamp duty may however be payable on specific transactions. Clearstream Banking does not assist in this regard. Please consult your tax advisor for further information.
1. “Clearstream Banking” refers collectively to Clearstream Banking S.A. and Clearstream Banking AG (for Clearstream Banking AG customers using Creation accounts).