Request for Legal Entity Identifier of customers
Clearstream Banking1 informs customers that the Regulation (EU) No 909/2014 of 23 July 2014 on improving securities settlement in the European Union and on central securities depositories (CSDs) requires that CSDs must obtain and store the Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) of each participant for identification purposes. This requirement applies to all entities listed in article 11 (5) of the Implementing Technical Standards 2017/394 of 11 November 2016 (ITS 394), that includes customers, or issuers2. This requirement is also provided in other EU legislations applicable to some of customer activities, such as MIFID II/MiFIR and EMIR.
Therefore, all Clearstream Banking customers are asked to provide their Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) to Clearstream Banking by
31 December 2017
What is the LEI?
The LEI is a unique code based on ISO 17442 standards that enables legal entities in global financial markets to be identified and to fulfil their reporting obligations. It aims to create greater transparency through a publicly available data pool.
What is the impact for you?
If you already have an LEI, please make sure :
- It is annually renewed (status is issued).
- It has been communicated to us.
If you do not yet have an LEI, please be informed that:
- You are required to obtain the LEI as soon as possible.
- The LEI is considered as a mandatory criterion for any participant.
How to obtain the LEI
LEIs are issued by Local Operating Units (LOUs). The complete list of LoUs can be found using the external link provided below.
How to provide us with your LEI
- By email to your Relationship Manager or Clearstream Banking Client Services.
- Via CreationOnline free-format message or SWIFT MT599.
- Via a signed letter – to the Attention of “Client Due Diligence and Admission”.
For further information, please contact Clearstream Banking Client Services or your Relationship Manager.
1. Clearstream Banking refers collectively to Clearstream Banking S.A., registered office at 42, avenue John F. Kennedy, L-1855 Luxembourg, and registered with the Luxembourg Trade and Companies Register under number B-9248, and Clearstream Banking AG (for Clearstream Banking AG customers using Creation Accounts), registered office at 61, Mergenthalerallee, 65760 Eschborn, Germany and registered in Register B of the Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main, Germany under number HRB 7500.
2. Please refer to our requirements for issuers in our announcement A17145.